Intellectual Property Forum The Intellectual Property Forum

News:

We have updated the software.  Let us know if there are any issues.

Main Menu

How many hours to draft a solid application? How many to draft a reply to OA?

Started by CharlesJones, 04-12-24 at 07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlesJones

In quite some years now in patent prep and pros, I am often told it should take at most 25 to 30 hours to draft a patent application (including doing the drawings). I am in the electrical/software/mechanical arts. I don't know where these numbers come from, but I find nothing realistic about that. To draft a thorough, careful application always takes me at least 40 hours. I find it not at all rare to require 50 or 60 hours. For some complex technologies -- and if for example the inventor disclosure is less than helpful, and if client requirements are particularly picky -- it's not entirely rare that I need 80 hours. (I wonder if many patent practitioners don't understate their hours in order to look efficient.)

My questions for everyone is, what would you say is your typical or average time to draft a patent application? What are your higher-end but not infrequent times? What are your outlier times?

Similar questions for replies to an OA. I'm told it should take eight hours. It typically takes me twice that long, or longer, especially if I am addressing and arguing issues under 101, 112, and 103. What do other people find to be their typical real times to get a good first draft done.

It would be interesting to hear answers from people in chemical, biotech and pharma as well.
The above is not legal advice, and my participation in discussions on this forum does not create an attorney-client relationship.

smgsmc

If you're working for a firm, rather than solo, the question really is how many hours you are allocated.  In particular, if you have a large-volume client with a contracted flat rate per application and per response. 

CharlesJones

Solo or working for a practice, either way I'm trying to find out -- how many hours does it *actually* take people to get a patent drafted? (Or a reply drafted.) Never mind what the law firm says it's supposed to be. I hope some people here will reply to my inquiry.
The above is not legal advice, and my participation in discussions on this forum does not create an attorney-client relationship.

www.intelproplaw.com

Terms of Use
Feel free to contact us:
Sorry, spam is killing us.

iKnight Technologies Inc.

www.intelproplaw.com